- I spent 30+ years in one of the richest acronym industry – insurance
- But, no one can surpass the grand daddy of acronyms – the internet
I have always been one of those annoying people who asks —
What is that acronym short for?
I cannot tell you how many times the response has been —
I don’t know
Thankfully, along with acronyms, the internet brought answers.
That “Uneducated” person is me – I suspect I am not alone You’ll excuse me if I am showing my age.
Here are 30 internet acronyms – a drop in the bucket.
- AAMOF – As A Matter Of Fact (and we all know there is nothing but fact on the internet)
- ABCD – Any Bozo Can Do (should I be offended?)
- ADN – Any Day Now (what I shout while on hold for customer service)
- AFAICT – As far As I Can Tell (that distance gets shorter every day)
- AIIC – As If I Care (AI must be the Clueless As If)
- ASAHP – As Soon As Humanly Possible (wish I had that one for a few bosses)
- AWHFY – Are We Having Fun Yet (probably not, if you have to ask)
- AWYR -Awaiting Your Reply (when did awaiting become two words?)
- AYPI – And Your Point Is (in my day it was AYPWB – And Your Point Would Be – acronym-shrinking is good)
- BSG – Broad Sweeping Generalizations (you mean like Baby Boomers don’t get this?)
- BTAICBW – But Then Again I Could Be Wrong (like thinking this list was a good idea)
- BWDIK – But What Do I Know (apparently, not a lot, judging from this list)
- BYKTA – But You Know That Already (uh, no)
- CAPTCHA – Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart (sure, I knew that)
- CMIIW – Correct Me If I’m Wrong (but does any of this make sense?)
- CNP – Continued in Next Post (because this one has gotten far too long)
- CSY – Can’t Stop Yawning (I know what they mean – finally!)
- CYA – See You (THAT isn’t what it meant when I was in Corporate – we had it covered)
- DDD – Deliberate Design Decision (I thought it meant Diners, Drive-ins and Dives)
- DEU – Dumb End User (I have a new set of credentials)
- DMML – Don’t Make Me Laugh (we’re only up to #21 – I don’t think there’s a risk of that)
- DOS – Dozing Off Soon (for years I wondered what a DOS system was)
- DUCWIC – Do You See What I See (the cousin of WYSIWYG)
- EMP – Excessive Multiple Posting (wonder if there’s a cure yet)
- FMTEYEWTK – Far More Than Everything You’ve Ever Wanted To Know (and one of the few “F” acronyms that can be printed)
- GASP – Go Away, Silly Person (soon, I promise)
- GDNR – Grinning, Ducking And Running (what I plan on doing after this post)
- HHIS – Hanging Head In Shame (just when did I lose control?)
- IHYUWIM – I Hope You Understand What I Mean (and I barely got started in the alphabet)
- KISS – Keep It Simple Stupid (seems my advice might be too much of a good thing)
We barely scratched the surface of acronyms.
- I doubt anyone will ask for a sequel
- What are your favorite internet acronyms?
- And don’t forget to educate the uneducated
- Let us know what they mean
I told you I’d ask.
i-Stock photo credit File #: 10676885
Helping you Keep it simple, clear & uniquely yours – contact me for help with your business writing needs.